In future, IoT is expected to witness various kinds of trends with the help of more advancement in technologies such as internet connectivity, AI, ML, new sensors and chip, etc.
We are in an era of intelligence, creativity, and innovation of ideas, where dream-like projects are becoming reality. These ideas are bringing revolution to the internet, and we will witness the best of so many upcoming new technologies in various sectors, some of which are emerging technologies like AI and ML, IoT, data science, and cyber security.
The IoT market is expected to reach US $33.74 billion by 2027 (2022–2027) by value with over 15 B connected devices across the globe at present, which is also expected to double by 2030.
The future scope of IoT is to make the world a smarter place to live. IoT helps to create an ecosystem between sensors, electronic gadgets (smartphones, smart bulbs, voice command assistants), and many more. In simple words, mechanical and digital machines, or objects transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction. So, as a user, you need to sit back and relax and give commands using your smartphone or voice command assistant.
In your daily life, you encounter many IoT products. The best example is people use wearable IoT products like smartwatches and wristbands, which monitor heartbeats, sleeping patterns, SpO2 levels, and daily activities.
Various aspects of Future IoT development and trends include:
- 1. AI and IoT
- 2. New Sensor and Chip Level Innovation in IoT Devices
- 3. Applications of IoT in the Future
- 4. New Connectivity Technology
1. AI and IoT
As the name suggests, AIoT (Artificial Intelligence of Things) is a combination of AI and IoT and enables more efficient IoT operations that improve human-machine interactions. AI is an artificial mind with human-like intelligence processes performed by a machine, like a computer system. These processes typically include NLP (natural language processing), text-speech recognition, and computer vision. To simplify it, let's take an example of a microchip embedded in a person's heart that will monitor its heart activities like blood pressure, heartbeat, and all the proper functioning of the heart. It will monitor the heart, and in any emergency condition, it will automatically inform the family member and transmit signals to a smartphone for the urgent requirement of an ambulance. The collaboration of AI and IoT is transforming the future of various industries.
1. AI-Powered Healthcare IoT
AI will play a vital role in analyzing patient data using wearable devices, which can store patient details in the hospital database. It will help doctors to maintain patient records and their personalized treatment.
2. AI-Powered Supply Chain
Helping companies to track their inventory in real-time. It will help companies from possible threats (Anti-Theft mechanism).
3. The manufacturing sector (AIoT)
In the manufacturing sector, industries can use thermal sensors as IoT devices to monitor the temperatures of machines and maintain a record of the temperature of machines in different states. Now, AI has its intelligence, It responds to temperature fluctuations. If the temperature rises to higher degrees, then it will command to shut down the machine in such conditions.
2. New Sensor and Chip Level Innovation in IoT Devices
We've seen so much advancement in IoT sensors. We have yet to witness innovation and upgradation at the chip level. These changes will primarily focus on intelligent computing and AI in IoT. As organizations keep on-demanding more powerful processing and efficient working, industries are responding to new architectures. Some recently popular sensors are LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) and ToF (Time-of-flight). These sensors are enhancing the capabilities of IoT device applications like robotics, autonomous vehicles, and gesture-control systems.
3. Applications of IoT in the Future
The future implementation of IoT in various sectors is going to transform everything. With the help of small chips, an entire city will use IoT devices as daily driver, which will help them make their lives easier and more convenient.
You can think of it as the internet, which is not just about computers and laptops; it will become an essential part of our everyday lives. IoT will likely connect over 15.14 billion devices in 2023.
Some popular applications of IoT in the future are:-
1. Smart Farming
2. Healthcare applications
4. Smart Eyes and Glasses
5. Gesture-controlled armbands and wristbands
4. New Connectivity Technology
Several connectivity technologies are emerging in the context of IoT.
- 1. 5G(Fifth-Generation): As a newly launched internet technology, 5G brings high Internet speeds ranging from 100 Mbps to 10 Gbps, compared with the 4G network which provides download speed of up to 100 Mbps and uploads of 50 Mbps. 4G has latency ranges from 30 to 50 milliseconds, but 5G achieves latency as low as one milliseconds.
- 2. Satellite IoT: Many companies have shown interest in improving connectivity in rural and remote areas. SpaceX is focusing on satellite IoT technology by launching StarLink into space. SpaceX planned to launch hundreds of satellites in the upcoming years. This technology helps in the global coverage of IoT devices.
- 3. Wi-Fi 6: As IoT devices are getting popular among users, IoT devices also need high speed and low latency to perform better in crowded areas. Wi-Fi 6 offers better and more stable connectivity compared to its previous versions.
- 4. LPWAN: LPWAN (Low-Power Wide Area Network) is helping IoT devices to transmit data at a high speed to get updates and responses very quickly. LoRA and NB-IoT are LPWAN Technologies as they extend the data transferring range from several kilometers to 10 kilometers according to the native conditions.
- 5. LoRA: Long-range technology used to establish a stable connection within some distance wirelessly. They are power-efficient. LoRa technology helps to implement applications like asset tracking and smart cities where these device needs to transmit their data over a distance.
- 6. LoRaWAN: (LoRa Wide-Area Network) This technology manages LoRa-based networks. LoRaWAN monitors how LoRA transmits the data. It also has security of data encryption and authentication. This network is capable of managing a large number of IoT devices.
- 7. NB-IoT: (Narrowband IoT) allows IoT Devices to maintain a long battery life as they are power-efficient. NB-IoT can penetrate through indoor walls and provide better connectivity in underground infrastructures.
To conclude, The Internet of Things has developed as an unexpectedly leading technology in this modern world. It is the technology that has so much to explore and innovate by integrating various fields of technology in the IoT, like AI and ML. A program that combines IoT devices with AI and ML helps them expand in the direction of proper automation. Another one is integrating cyber security into IoT devices, which will help the devices to protect their data from different threats. Due to this, IoT will expand into various areas of applications in other sectors. IoT success and growth will depend on technology developments, teamwork, and responsible development. In future, IoT will see development in the healthcare, automotive, connectivity, agriculture sectors, etc.